From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Odd cron errors
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:20:56
1 On Tuesday 01 July 2014 15:01:33 I wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 01 July 2014 12:13:39 Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 01 Jul 2014 10:48:12 Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Hell list,
5 > > >
6 > > > I don't know when it started, but recently I've been getting error
7 > > > e-mails
8 > > > from cron, thus:
9 > > >
10 > > > Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated
11 > > >
12 > > > They're all timed at 03:10:0x, i.e. one minute after cron.daily tasks
13 > > > are
14 > > > run, and they occur at 7- or 8-day intervals. The only files in
15 > > > /etc/cron.daily are logrotate and man-db, neither of which I've touched.
16 > > >
17 > > > I've been expiring that e-mail folder at 30 days, so I have only four
18 > > > instances - I've now set the lifetime to 366 days to allow a history to
19 > > > build up.
20 > > >
21 > > > Anyone have a clue to this? It's hardly earth-shattering, but it might
22 > > > be
23 > > > good to find out what's going on.
24 > >
25 > > Only to confirm that I have been getting these on an old 32bit laptop. I
26 > > suspect that they are caused by chrony which I run on this PC and some
27 > > passwd setup that chronyc requires to connect to the timeservers and
28 > > update
29 > > RTC et al, via chronyd. I have not looked into configuring it beyond a
30 > > rather superficial "it'll do for now" level and have not yet added any
31 > > chrony.keys. When I get a moment I will revisit the configuration to add
32 > > the required key, but will need to spend some time going through the man
33 > > pages first.
34 >
35 > I was beginning to think I was the only one still running chrony :)
36 >
37 > My chrony does have a key set up, so I don't think that's the cause. Now
38 > that you remind me, I changed the setup on 31/5. The Atom LAN server has an
39 > appalling hardware clock, so I changed things around so that both the Atom
40 > and this box synchronise over the Internet, and they peer with each other.
41 >
42 > Maybe I should split them apart to make them independent. I'll watch them
43 > for a while first though, to see if a pattern emerges.
44 >
45 > Thanks for the idea Mick.
46
47 Well, a week ago I did split the two chronys (the one on the server and the
48 one on the workstation), but I got another mail at 03:10:05 today. So I guess
49 that isn't it.
52 Regards
53 Peter