From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Odd cron errors
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 14:01:41
1 On Tuesday 01 July 2014 12:13:39 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 01 Jul 2014 10:48:12 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hell list,
4 > >
5 > > I don't know when it started, but recently I've been getting error e-mails
6 > > from cron, thus:
7 > >
8 > > Password: 501 Not authorised --- Reply not authenticated
9 > >
10 > > They're all timed at 03:10:0x, i.e. one minute after cron.daily tasks are
11 > > run, and they occur at 7- or 8-day intervals. The only files in
12 > > /etc/cron.daily are logrotate and man-db, neither of which I've touched.
13 > >
14 > > I've been expiring that e-mail folder at 30 days, so I have only four
15 > > instances - I've now set the lifetime to 366 days to allow a history to
16 > > build up.
17 > >
18 > > Anyone have a clue to this? It's hardly earth-shattering, but it might be
19 > > good to find out what's going on.
20 >
21 > Only to confirm that I have been getting these on an old 32bit laptop. I
22 > suspect that they are caused by chrony which I run on this PC and some
23 > passwd setup that chronyc requires to connect to the timeservers and update
24 > RTC et al, via chronyd. I have not looked into configuring it beyond a
25 > rather superficial "it'll do for now" level and have not yet added any
26 > chrony.keys. When I get a moment I will revisit the configuration to add
27 > the required key, but will need to spend some time going through the man
28 > pages first.
29
30 I was beginning to think I was the only one still running chrony :)
31
32 My chrony does have a key set up, so I don't think that's the cause. Now that
33 you remind me, I changed the setup on 31/5. The Atom LAN server has an
34 appalling hardware clock, so I changed things around so that both the Atom and
35 this box synchronise over the Internet, and they peer with each other.
36
37 Maybe I should split them apart to make them independent. I'll watch them for
38 a while first though, to see if a pattern emerges.
39
40 Thanks for the idea Mick.
43 Regards
44 Peter