From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmux vs. screen
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:37:20
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:25 on Friday 19 November 2010, Florian
3 > CROUZAT did opine thusly:
6 >> On 18 nov. 2010, at 20:52, Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Stroller
9 >>>
10 >>> <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>> I think what really won my heart, and did so quite quickly, is that tmux
13 >>>> has a status bar configured by default. I'm pretty sure you can do that
14 >>>> with screen, too, but I've never bothered, because it seemed too much
15 >>>> effort to learn and it just seemed flashy and pointless. I realised how
16 >>>> mistaken I was within a couple of hours of using tmux. It has
17 >>>> absolutely changed the way I use terminal multiplexers, and so I spent
18 >>>> several hours the next day configuring mine and getting the colours and
19 >>>> stuff perfect.
20 >>>>
21 >>> I have not used tmux but I agree completely, I hate to use screen
22 >>> without the status bar. I'm using one I copied from here or the forums
23 >>> or the gentoo wiki or someplace out there in WWW land. (Thanks to the
24 >>> person who made it, whoever you are)
25 >>>
26 >>> Add this to your .screenrc:
27 >>> caption always "%{= kw}%-w%{= BW}%n %t%{-}%+w %-= @%H - %LD %d %LM - %c"
28 >>>
29 >> Also, amongst other things,>=tmux-1.3 has mouse support.
30 >> You can scroll using your mouse in copy mode and use your mouse to select
31 >> one of the splitted panes of your active window. You can also break/join
32 >> panes in and out the active window and it has awesome predefined layouts.
33 >> I'll add that tmux has a readable and even understandable man page
34 >>
35 > ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^
36 >
37 > I'm sold. 4 words, that's all it took.
41 That makes me want to try it too. Most man pages are like Greek to me.
42 I use screen pretty often, especially when OOo is compiling. Nothing
43 worse than starting that thing in a Konsole and realizing you need to
44 log out about 6 hours in. o-O
45
46 Dale
47