From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having trouble installing grub on second disk
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:42:51
1 On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >> I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
6 >> boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
7 >> "Error 15: File not found".
8 >
9 > For grub, the (hd0) and (hd1) devices are the ordered in the same order that
10 > the BIOS puts them in, so if you are going to switch them around in the BIOS,
11 > you should set the entries in the grub.conf to (hd0,0) instead of (hd1,0).
12 > In otherwords, (hd0) is always "the disk currently being booted from".
13 >
14 > You can test this by editing the lines when grub comes up, and change kernel
15 > to be:
16 >
17 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
18 >
19 > -Richard
20
21 I'm glad to report that Richard's suggestion solved my problem. Thanks
22 very much!
23
24 After a bit of experimentation, this worked:
25
26 root (hd0,0)
27 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 init=/bin/sh
28
29 That's interesting, because the first line refers to the drive
30 (remember, it's my slave primary device, but in my BIOS I have it
31 selected for booting) as hd0, but the second line refers to it as hdb.
32 Yes, I tried hda, and it didn't work.
33
34 I did a bit of research after our initial email and it seems that grub
35 numbering starts with the BIOS boot device, and then goes up from there,
36 but I couldn't find any clear explanation of what happens with drives
37 that preceeded the boot device. If you have 4 drives and you boot from
38 the second, does grub go back and get the first at the end, or never?
39 A topic for future research.
40
41 The information I found also suggests that this is somewhat BIOS
42 dependent, so future readers of this thread take note: this may not
43 apply to you. Trial and error may be the only foolproof solution.
44
45 Thanks again everyone,
46
47 Michael