From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating the system fails
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:35:39
1 On Wednesday 06 June 2007 20:54:30 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > I've a somewhat old system (it was installed with 2005.1 at the time) that
3 > I wanted to try updating.
4 >
5 > However, emerge --update --pretend world thows an awfull lot of blocking
6 > packages, mostly x11-something, but including KDE, java and others.
7 >
8 > There is no question of unmasking all these packages, as has been suggested
9 > in another thread for one blocking package.
10
11 That thread was the exception from the rule. Usually blocks mean that
12 something needs to be unmerged. The only reason I didn't tell him to unmerge
13 anything was because it was apparent from the output that it was not
14 installed.
15
16 > Is there a way to say "try to upgrade all you can and we'll if it works" or
17 > does it simply mean the system is screwed beyond repair and a new install
18 > is the only hope?
19
20 Neither. You need to unmerge the blockers. Do make sure you get a clean update
21 complete and run etc-update (or equivalent) before logging out or rebooting..
22 There's a section on blockers in the handbook. Read it.
25 Bo Andresen