From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:11:35
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 06:12:40 Dale wrote:
2 > Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:22:41 Dale wrote:
4 > > You will need to do it in the following steps though:
5 > > - create PV, LVM and LV on the new drive
6 > > - copy data over
7 > > - create PV on old drive and add it to LVM
8 > > Contact me or list if you need help with the actual commands and syntax.
9 > > (There are plenty of howtos around)
10 >
11 > I was reading the howto on a couple sites and it sounded like this could
12 > be done. Glad to know I would have to copy the files over to a LVM
13 > drive tho. That info was something I didn't know. I was hoping for
14 > some magic. lol
15
16 As far as I know, there is no "automatic conversion tool" for most of these.
17 Switching from non-raid to RAID-1 (mirroring) is the only one I think that
18 might work.
19
20 > >> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
21 > >> on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
22 > >
23 > > Interesting argument. You don't trust LVM, so you put your personal
24 > > files on there, but not the easily replacable stuff like OS? :)
25 >
26 > I like my OS setup and don't want to have to reinstall. Although Gentoo
27 > has never let me down yet, I don't want to add to the confusion. If I
28 > can boot and get to my email, I can get help to fix LVM if needed. I
29 > also keep a backup of my personal files. I could recover the things I
30 > don't backup tho. Most of my concern is my lack of experience with
31 > LVM. If I was a guru on it, I might feel better about it.
32
33 Worst case I had: the metadata was incorrect. This was back with 2.6.18
34 kernels though.
35 That was also easily recovered as all the LVM-tools, with default
36 configuration, backup the metadata to a text-file before/after making any
37 chances.
38 You can then easily recover if anything goes wrong :)
39
40 > > Please note, I have not lost data related to issues with LVM. I have, in
41 > > the distant past, lost data related to issues with filesystems.
42 > > Because of the latter, I rely on a combination of RAID-subsystems with
43 > > LVM on top and reliable backups :)
44 > >
45 > > --
46 > > Joost Roeleveld
47 >
48 > Unless someone has a better idea, I think LVM is about all I can find
49 > that would do this. The drives won't be even close to each other. I
50 > hope I can find a nice 2Tb drive that I can afford. ;-) Maybe that
51 > will last a while. The 750Gb drive did last a pretty good while. I'm
52 > not sure after that tho.
53
54 I've got 6 * 1.5TB drives in RAID-5 for documents and media and we have about
55 2TB left. But with our usage, I'll probably have to look into extending that
56 later this year.
57
58 > Thanks for the info. It did add to my knowledge and settle one of my
59 > questions.
60
61 Always glad to help.
64 Joost