From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:14:16
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:22:41 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> Quick question about LVM. I have a 750Gb drive that has miscellaneous
7 >> stuff on it. Stuff likes videos, music, pictures, ISO files and a few
8 >> other things. It's not full yet but it is working on it. I have my OS
9 >> on sda. The large drive is on sdc. If I buy another drive it should be
10 >> sdd. I think this is possible from what I have read but want to make
11 >> sure. Could I put sdc and sdd on LVM but the OS remain as it is with
12 >> LVM not involved at all? Basically, my OS stays just like it is and is
13 >> not touched my LVM at all but the two larger drives are managed by LVM.
14 >>
15 > Simple (and complete answer): Yes, you can use LVM only for a subset of the
16 > drives you have inside a system.
17 >
18 > You will need to do it in the following steps though:
19 > - create PV, LVM and LV on the new drive
20 > - copy data over
21 > - create PV on old drive and add it to LVM
22 > Contact me or list if you need help with the actual commands and syntax.
23 > (There are plenty of howtos around)
27 I was reading the howto on a couple sites and it sounded like this could
28 be done. Glad to know I would have to copy the files over to a LVM
29 drive tho. That info was something I didn't know. I was hoping for
30 some magic. lol
31
32 >> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
33 >> on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
34 >>
35 > Interesting argument. You don't trust LVM, so you put your personal files on
36 > there, but not the easily replacable stuff like OS? :)
40 I like my OS setup and don't want to have to reinstall. Although Gentoo
41 has never let me down yet, I don't want to add to the confusion. If I
42 can boot and get to my email, I can get help to fix LVM if needed. I
43 also keep a backup of my personal files. I could recover the things I
44 don't backup tho. Most of my concern is my lack of experience with
45 LVM. If I was a guru on it, I might feel better about it.
46
47 >> If there is a better solution to link two large drives, I'm open to
48 >> those ideas as well. LVM is all I can think of is why I mention it.
49 >>
50 > RAID-0 (if they're same size) or linking them together.
51 > Compared to those, I would always recommend LVM as that is easier to maintain
52 > then JBOD or RAID-0.
53 >
54 > There might also be filesystems that include disk-spanning, but if you're
55 > already not convinced about LVM being reliable, I wouldn't use one of these
56 > filesystems then.
57 >
58 > Please note, I have not lost data related to issues with LVM. I have, in the
59 > distant past, lost data related to issues with filesystems.
60 > Because of the latter, I rely on a combination of RAID-subsystems with LVM on
61 > top and reliable backups :)
62 >
63 > --
64 > Joost Roeleveld
68 Unless someone has a better idea, I think LVM is about all I can find
69 that would do this. The drives won't be even close to each other. I
70 hope I can find a nice 2Tb drive that I can afford. ;-) Maybe that
71 will last a while. The 750Gb drive did last a pretty good while. I'm
72 not sure after that tho.
73
74 Thanks for the info. It did add to my knowledge and settle one of my
75 questions.
76
77 Dale
78