From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:50:53
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:22:41 Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Quick question about LVM. I have a 750Gb drive that has miscellaneous
5 > stuff on it. Stuff likes videos, music, pictures, ISO files and a few
6 > other things. It's not full yet but it is working on it. I have my OS
7 > on sda. The large drive is on sdc. If I buy another drive it should be
8 > sdd. I think this is possible from what I have read but want to make
9 > sure. Could I put sdc and sdd on LVM but the OS remain as it is with
10 > LVM not involved at all? Basically, my OS stays just like it is and is
11 > not touched my LVM at all but the two larger drives are managed by LVM.
12
13 Simple (and complete answer): Yes, you can use LVM only for a subset of the
14 drives you have inside a system.
15
16 You will need to do it in the following steps though:
17 - create PV, LVM and LV on the new drive
18 - copy data over
19 - create PV on old drive and add it to LVM
20 Contact me or list if you need help with the actual commands and syntax.
21 (There are plenty of howtos around)
22
23 > I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
24 > on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
25
26 Interesting argument. You don't trust LVM, so you put your personal files on
27 there, but not the easily replacable stuff like OS? :)
28
29 > If there is a better solution to link two large drives, I'm open to
30 > those ideas as well. LVM is all I can think of is why I mention it.
31
32 RAID-0 (if they're same size) or linking them together.
33 Compared to those, I would always recommend LVM as that is easier to maintain
34 then JBOD or RAID-0.
35
36 There might also be filesystems that include disk-spanning, but if you're
37 already not convinced about LVM being reliable, I wouldn't use one of these
38 filesystems then.
39
40 Please note, I have not lost data related to issues with LVM. I have, in the
41 distant past, lost data related to issues with filesystems.
42 Because of the latter, I rely on a combination of RAID-subsystems with LVM on
43 top and reliable backups :)
46 Joost Roeleveld