From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux comm program
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:33:25
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:51:55 -0400
4 Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > I can't seem to find anything but stuff that was written in the
7 > '90s like minicom or programs that have limited capabilities.
8 > ...
9 > I'm looking for a GUI program with a scrollback buffer, scripting,
10 > multi protocol support (ssh in all its various
11 > flavors, serial port, telnet, rlogin), session logging, etc.
12 > ...
13 > This is the kind of technical itch that I would think lots of
14 > programmers would scratch, but I haven't been able to find
15 > anything close.
16
17 Because this isn't the Unix way of doing things. (I think you're a Cisco
18 tech?!?)
19
20 Instead, the approach would be to
21 - use a console for X11 gui (xterm, rxvt, whatever),
22 - use a terminal emulator for for terminal emulation (usually included
23 in the console applications, but I'm more thinking of "screen" here
24 because you mentioned scollback buffer and stuff),
25 - use a serial line comm prog for the serial communication (what's
26 wrong with minicom?)
27 - use a SSH shell for SSH connections, Telnet for telnet, etc. pp.
28 - use a program for skripting ttys for the macros - "expect" and "talk"
29 come to my mind.
30
31 Instead of having a huge, hard-to-maintain one-does-it-all-package,
32 this seems a lot more flexible to me. If you want to save keystrokes -
33 well, write some scripts and aliases.
34
35 -hwh
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list