From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 22:30:00
1 On 25/07/18 23:20, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found that python_targets
4 >> and python_single_targets use flags have been changed again
5 >> from python3_5 to python3_6, which leads to a lot of recompilation.
6 >>
7 >> It already happened last month and a week later the both use flags
8 >> was changed back, again with a lot of recompilations.
9 >>
10 >> And it was not the first time!
11 >>
12 >> Is any real need to switch python_targets and python_single_target
13 >> back and forth every month?
14 >>
15 > It's very simple:
16 >
17 > 1. The default was switched to python3.6. This was probably a bit premature.
18 > 2. People complained that this broke their systems, so we reverted the
19 > default back to python3.5.
20 > 3. The problems were fixed, so we switched the default back to python3.6.
21 >
22 > Sorry to have wasted your precious computing time, but hey, people
23 > make mistakes sometimes.
24 >
25 Major impact on users as well as creating confusion, talk on how a lot
26 of packages fail on 3.6 whats to say this isn't another mistake - isn't
27 this what news articles are for?
30 BillK