From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you upgrade postgresql?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:12:47
1 On 13 February 2016 15:40:33 CET, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >On 02/13/2016 09:04 AM, Mick wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4 >>
5 >> How would you suggest I upgrade dev-db/postgresql-9.4.5-r2 to 9.5.1?
6 >>
7 >> I read here that dump and restore is probably a cleaner way to
8 >upgrade gentoo
9 >> based installations, rather than using the pg_dump and pg_restore
10 >commands:
13 >http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/upgrading_postgresql-9.x_on_gentoo.php
16 >Haha, yes, I remember that. I stand by the note at the top.
17 >
18 >You can install 9.5 side-by-side with 9.4. That gives you time to look
19 >over the configuration for 9.5 while 9.4 is still running. Then when
20 >you're ready, run pg_dump/pg_dumpall to back everything up. Stop 9.4,
21 >eselect 9.5, start 9.5, and then run pg_restore or psql < backup.sql to
22 >load all of the data. It's fast, conceptually simple, and minimizes the
23 >downtime.
24 >
25 >When you're sure it works, don't forget to remove 9.4 from the default
26 >runlevel and add 9.5 so that you're not surprised on a reboot.
27
28 Or run both simultaneously on different ports and migrate one database/application at a time.
29
30 That will also allow you to dump/restore directly without requiring additional diskspace.
33 Joost
34 --
35 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.