From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you upgrade postgresql?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:40:51
1 On 02/13/2016 09:04 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > How would you suggest I upgrade dev-db/postgresql-9.4.5-r2 to 9.5.1?
5 >
6 > I read here that dump and restore is probably a cleaner way to upgrade gentoo
7 > based installations, rather than using the pg_dump and pg_restore commands:
8 >
9 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/upgrading_postgresql-9.x_on_gentoo.php
12 Haha, yes, I remember that. I stand by the note at the top.
13
14 You can install 9.5 side-by-side with 9.4. That gives you time to look
15 over the configuration for 9.5 while 9.4 is still running. Then when
16 you're ready, run pg_dump/pg_dumpall to back everything up. Stop 9.4,
17 eselect 9.5, start 9.5, and then run pg_restore or psql < backup.sql to
18 load all of the data. It's fast, conceptually simple, and minimizes the
19 downtime.
20
21 When you're sure it works, don't forget to remove 9.4 from the default
22 runlevel and add 9.5 so that you're not surprised on a reboot.