From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] utempter vs libutempter
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:33:28
1 At Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:07:44 +0200 Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> These examples are admittedly rather comtrived. My google search
5 >> result (posted a few msgs ago) gave the three step sequence you
6 >> quoted above.
7 >
8 > When googling for advice, you may want to include "site:gentoo.org"
9 > in your terms, and maybe even "handbook".
10
11 Terrific suggestion. Thanks.
12
13 > Searching for 'blocking site:gentoo.org handbook' gives a link to a
14 > Portage Introduction and one to a Quick Install Guide that although
15 > very terse are together clear enough, in my opinion.
16 >
17 >> However, if A was originally in world and not depended upon
18 >> by anything else, it will not be remerged. If A is still needed
19 >
20 > If A was in world, it was by definition not needed. Sure, the user
21 > wanted the package, but that is something else. :)
22
23 Cute. Not relevant, but indeed cute. -:)
24
25 >> it must be explicitly emerged.
26 >
27 > No need to tell the user that: she will remember which packages she
28 > wants to have installed.
29
30 A rather optimistic assumption. One might have originally emerged A
31 quite a *long* time ago.
32
33 Nonetheless, I must agree that your procedure will work nearly all the
34 time, and the extra coverage I offered may well be offset by the extra
35 complexity of the wording, which is not needed in nearly all cases.
36
37 allan
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list