From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:25:42
1 On Saturday 22 Aug 2015 09:18:05 Dale wrote:
2 > Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, August 22, 2015 1:52:00 AM Alan Grimes wrote:
4 > >> That said, I spent the day doing diagnostics:
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >> Findings:
8 > >>
9 > >> 1. There were a hell of a lot more memory errors than I had seen before.
10 > >> 2. There was a smudge on one of the dimm's contacts and some of the
11 > >> usual dust on the CPU-facing one.
12 > >> 3. The motherboard was not developed by sane engineers. In a sane world,
13 > >> there are two types of variables: measured variables and controlled
14 > >> variables.
15 > >> The RAM voltage would appear to be a controlled variable but it is also
16 > >> a measured variable. In order to achieve a close approximation of 1.5v,
17 > >> I had to set it to 1.530 volts. WTF...
18 > >>
19 > >> 4. an AMD K10 processor cannot successfully drive 8-ranks of high
20 > >> density ram at 2x800 mhz -- BUT IT WILL TRY!!! I found all dimms to be
21 > >> good either individually or in pairs, but the entire ram compliment of
22 > >> four dims cannot be run at full speed at once with the CPU/motherboard I
23 > >> have installed.
24 > >
25 > > Findings 3 & 4 sound like a faulty or underrated PSU...or a bad
26 > > motherboard. Start by unplugging everything that you don't need to boot
27 > > from a live CD and run some tests.
28 >
29 > It sure does. A weak power supply will certainly cause some issues.
30
31 I also concur that the most likely cause of this problem is the PSU but first,
32 I would clean the RAM contacts.
33
34 Then try a replacement PSU if you have a spare one, or take your multimeter
35 and measure the output, checking for lower voltage values and fluctuations.
36 If you get bad measurements, then take your soldering iron out and for a few
37 pence inspect and replace any domed, or all capacitors on the secondary
38 (output) side.
41 Regards,
42 Mick