From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LUKS
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:36:49
1 On Tuesday 10 January 2006 07:13, Cláudio Henrique
2 <rapaduraatomica@×××××.com> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] LUKS':
3 > On 1/9/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > > If I used on any of my HDs, will I be able to update them?
5 > >
6 > > What do you mean?
7 >
8 > I mean updating my system (emerge -u world) once I put it on a
9 > cyphered partition.
10
11 Encrypted block devices are accessed just like normal block devices, once
12 the encryption keys are in memory. You are only asked for your passphrase
13 once, each time the block device is created [1]. Generally, this will
14 only be during boot.
15
16 > I was worried if the algorithm would make all the blocks
17 > dependents on each other. So, if I loose onde block, I'd be loosing
18 > all the others.
19
20 That's not necessary, since each sector has a separate initialization
21 vector. PlumbIV and CBC (along with the patent-encumbered CMC and EME) do
22 make the blocks within a sector dependent on one another, which is good
23 for resisting certain types of attacks.
24
25 > What about the performance, is it too different from plain partition
26 > usage?
27
28 I never noticed the difference when I was using aes-loop on a 2GHz laptop.
29 That said, it will depend on the algorithm you choose and the CPU you have
30 available. Also, I /think/ aes-loop was supposed to be faster than
31 dm-crypt, but I believe the kernel's implementation of aes (and maybe
32 other ciphers) has gotten faster since the last benchmarks I saw.
35 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
36 bss03@××××××××××.com
37 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
38
39 [1] This choice of wording might be confusing. I am referring to when the
40 block device is assigned a minor number and the dm mapping loaded into the
41 kernel: creation of the block device. I am not referring to the
42 initialization of the LUKS "superblock", when the passphrase and algorithm
43 are chosen.
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list