From: "Cláudio Henrique" <rapaduraatomica@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LUKS
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:19:57
1 On 1/9/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > > If I used on any of my HDs, will I be able to update them?
4 >
5 > What do you mean? If you mean changing the password, yes.
8 I mean updating my system (emerge -u world) once I put it on a
9 cyphered partition.
10
11 > > What if the
12 > > data of some file gets corrupted, will I loose the whole HD?
13 >
14 > Encryption is done in (4k?) blocks, so you should only lose the
15 > corrupted block. As to whether you lose a single file or the whole
16 > filesystem, that depends on the nature of the corruption and the
17 > filesystem. This is no different than having a corrupted hard drive.
18 >
19 > -Richard
22 Interesting. I was worried if the algorithm would make all the blocks
23 dependents on each other. So, if I loose onde block, I'd be loosing
24 all the others.
25
26 What about the performance, is it too different from plain partition usage?
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list