From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:58:51
1 On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 July 2011 01:03:03 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I might add, the last time it locked up, I had a compile process running
5 >> in a console.  I watched the hard drive light, it was blinking away.
6 >> So, the root of the system was running but for some reason, I could not
7 >> get my mouse or keyboard to work.  It appears it is the GUI part that is
8 >> locking up but whatever it is, it is not affecting Fluxbox.  I also
9 >> tried the shift alt F12 to disable composite as well.
10 >
11 > This is sounding more and more like the lockups I've been experiencing. In
12 > my case it was every distro other than Gentoo.
13 >
14 > I'm trying Fedora with "Asus Express Gate" switched off in the BIOS, and it
15 > seems to be helping. I know you don't have an Asus motherboard though, so
16 > I'm not helping :-(
17 >
18 > When did you last recompile your kernel? What version is it? (Sorry if
19 > you've told us already, but if so I missed it.)
20 >
21 > --
22 > Rgds
23 > Peter
24
25 Speaking as someone who runs 100% (except when I don't) I wonder if
26 this is driven at all by the use of testing packages?
27
28 I have only Asus & Intel MB's and laptops here. They all use the
29 NVidia closed source testing driver except one which uses the Intel
30 driver. None of them are experiencing any lockups at any time that I
31 know of.
32
33 This is pretty typical of where I don't run stable:
34
35 c2stable ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
36 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources ~amd64
37 sys-apps/portage ~*
38 app-portage/eix ~amd64
39 app-emulation/virtualbox ~amd64
40 app-emulation/virtualbox-modules ~amd64
41 app-emulation/virtualbox-additions ~amd64
42 x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox ~amd64
43 x11-drivers/xf86-input-virtualbox ~amd64
44 app-emulation/vmware-modules ~amd64
45 app-emulation/vmware-tools ~amd64
46 app-emulation/vmware-player ~amd64
47 x11-libs/libview ~amd64