From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:02:46
1 On 12/01/20 13:39, Mick wrote:
2 > 2. Obligatory Microsoft Account registration.
3 >
4 > Every time I touch a MSWindows OS I get more annoyed than the last time. I
5 > went through the installation process. During the finishing touches of the
6 > installation the OS configured the keyboard, network and then the user
7 > account. Unlike previous Windows 10 installations which offered the option of
8 > configuring a local user account, this time I was only given the choice of
9 > using or creating a (online) Microsoft Account, by entering (linking to it) my
10 > personal email, phone or Skype account. No option for a local account. To
11 > by-pass this forced Microsoft Account creation/registration I shut down the OS
12 > and rebooted without an Internet connection. This time I was offered the
13 > option to create a local account. I mention this in case you also want to
14 > install a recent build ISO of Windows 10 without registering any online
15 > Microsoft credentials.
16
17 I think (iirc) that if you go "next" to the actual account creation page
18 there is a "skip this" option.
19
20 I know I had this exact situation, but it was mentioned in some mag or
21 whatever that gave a - not particularly intuitive - option to skip that
22 step. You can try searching online for it ...
23
24 The really annoying thing is that it becomes very easy for anybody to
25 log on to your computer using their MS account, and we had a very
26 confusing situation where my grandson's online account somehow got
27 attached to my wife's local account :-(
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol