From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:58:52
1 On Feb 18, 2012 7:27 PM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012, 06:00:00 schrieb Dale:
5 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 04:26:02 -0600
7 > > >
8 > > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >> Howdy,
10 > > >>
11 > > >> I ran across this and though it was a joke. Did a news search and
12 > > >> sure enough, it is reported in lots of places. Random linky:
13 > > >>
14 > > >>
15 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102856/Will-FBI-shut-Internet-Ma
16 > > >> rch-8-virus-concerns.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
17 > > >>
18 > > >> Is there any truth to this mess? My bigger and better question, how
19 > > >> is shutting down the internet going to fix this? When the net comes
20 > > >> back up, they are still going to be infected. Right?
21 > > >>
22 > > >> I'm glad I run a really nice Linux OS.
23 > > >
24 > > > Gawd, I hate it when morons write sensational articles that attempt to
25 > > > make sense to other morons. You get crap like that.
26 > > >
27 > > > So if this is legit, and I'm not saying it is, what happened is this:
28 > > >
29 > > > The malware changes the DNS cache settings on infected machines,
30 > > > sending the user to rogue caches. The FBI captured some (or all) of
31 > > > these rogue caches and (possibly) tried to fix them. A court has now
32 > > > said those rogue caches must now be shut down.
33 > > >
34 > > > So if the morons reading the article do nothing, on March 8 the DNS
35 > > > caches they use will be down. The user's DNS will not work.
36 > > >
37 > > > OMFG!!!!!!! Da intartubes is broken!!!!!
38 > > >
39 > > > <sigh>
40 > > >
41 > > > Instead, why not just set the DNS caches to something NOT owned by
42 Ivan
43 > > > The Russian Spammer?
44 > > >
45 > > > And no, the intartubes will NOT be switched off.
46 > >
47 > > I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
48 > > computers. After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant right?
49 > > If there is a few computers still running that have a connection, it is
50 > > still working. Sort of anyway.
51 > >
52 > > Does make one wonder tho. They have been talking about having a
53 > > internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
54 >
55 > basically, yes. Take down the core routers and backbones and everything
56 falls
57 > apart.
58 >
59 > --
60 > #163933
63 Indeed. In fact, easier than that.
64
65 Just inject false BGP routes into one of the backbone level routers, and
66 see how wide the Internet becomes 'impacted'. Do it to maybe 5 or 6 other
67 routers that watch guard over the transatlantic and transpacific routes,
68 and watch as the Internet fold upon itself.
69
70 I was once a certified Network Engineer before I became a System Admin, so
71 I know. The soft underbelly of the Intartubes is depressingly very
72 vulnerable.
73
74 Rgds,