From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild of Postgres-8.3.8 almost a catastrophe
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:50:19
1 On 9 Nov 2009, at 10:25, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
2 > ...
3 > usually upgrade within a minor version of postgres do not need a
4 > pg_dump_all/
5 > and reimport. But the upgrade from 8.3.7 to 8.3.8 does as the
6 > configure option
7 > for integer-timestamps changed and thus the newly compiled server
8 > can not read
9 > the existing database files.
10
11 Thanks, dude!
12
13 This is very useful to know about.
14
15 I assume this is an upstream decision, and may be expected to apply to
16 8.3.9, 8.3.10, ... also? I have no reason to "wait and see if this is
17 resolved", I should be careful to do a dump and restore next time I
18 upgrade?
19
20 Cheers,
21