From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:31:02
1 On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:28:43 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
4 > >> harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
5 > >> somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
6 > >>
7 > > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
8 > > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
9
10 > He mentioned in one of the first few posts that he regularly has hard
11 > shutdowns. I took that as pulling the plug. The last bit of
12 > experience I had with XFS, it does not like that sort of thing to
13 > happen. Each time I had a hard shutdown, I had to reinstall the OS.
14 > Has XFS changed so that power loss is not s problem or should he not
15 > use this after all?
16
17 If the system crashes so hard that even Magic SysRq can't help, he should
18 be fixing that first, rather than trying to find a filesystem that likes
19 such shutdowns. Having said that XFS is much better now and I was
20 recommending using it for video files, which are hardly life and death.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great
27 ordeal of meeting me is another matter. - Sir Winston Churchill
28 (1874-1965)