From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:51:45
1 On Friday 18 February 2011 09:45:44 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 February 2011 22:10:42 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18:40PM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote
4 > >
5 > > > did you add alsasound to the boot process?
6 > > >
7 > > > i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone
8 > > > until i realised that i forgot to do that!
9 > > >
10 > > > also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like
11 > > > Hung sugested.
12 > > >
13 > > I had already unmuted everything before posting my question. With
14 > >
15 > > enough microphone boost, I have a hissing noise. I didn't know about
16 > > alsasound being a daemon until today. With alsasound running, mencoder
17 > > and ffmpeg and arecord now *THINK* that they are recording a sound
18 > > channel. That's an "improvement", because they used to say "noaudio"
19 > > before. But still nothing gets recorded. Here is a sample command I
20 > > tried.
21 > >
22 > > arecord -f cd -t wav -c 2 -D plughw:0 foobar.wav
23 > >
24 > > Maybe I should go and buy an external microphone already.
25 >
26 > I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the
27 > microphone to work until I switched on the digital capture and selected
28 > "Digital" under Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason it would not
29 > work with any other setting.
30
31 Perhaps because there is no analogue audio capture on my machine ... ?
32
33 $ cat /proc/asound/devices
34 2: : timer
35 3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback