From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone get Acer laptop internal microphone working in Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:47:54
1 On Sunday 13 February 2011 22:10:42 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18:40PM +0530, Yohan Pereira wrote
3 >
4 > > did you add alsasound to the boot process?
5 > >
6 > > i went 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with my microphone
7 > > until i realised that i forgot to do that!
8 > >
9 > > also unmute the microphones using alsamixer (in alsa-utils) like
10 > > Hung sugested.
11 >
12 > I had already unmuted everything before posting my question. With
13 > enough microphone boost, I have a hissing noise. I didn't know about
14 > alsasound being a daemon until today. With alsasound running, mencoder
15 > and ffmpeg and arecord now *THINK* that they are recording a sound
16 > channel. That's an "improvement", because they used to say "noaudio"
17 > before. But still nothing gets recorded. Here is a sample command I
18 > tried.
19 >
20 > arecord -f cd -t wav -c 2 -D plughw:0 foobar.wav
21 >
22 > Maybe I should go and buy an external microphone already.
23
24 I do not have your hardware, but on my laptop I could not get the microphone
25 to work until I switched on the digital capture and selected "Digital" under
26 Input Source in alsamixer. For some reason it would not work with any other
27 setting.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick