From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:54:12
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 August 2006 22:22, Michael Hennebry wrote:
3 >>> Oh, and BTW, on gentoo your optimization choices for gcc are -O, -O2
4 >>> or nothing, because all other -O options are replaced with -O2 by
5 >>> toolchain.eclass.
6 >> Since the OP wanted -Os, the question remains:
7 >> How, if at all, can he get -Os ?
8 >
9 > Assuming that the OP doesn't want a broken gcc he will probably be happy
10 > with -Os for the packages that doesn't break with it... ;)
11
12 Being the OP in this case, I want to state that I didn't want "-Os for
13 all pkgs". I just decided to set "-Os" inside my CFLAGS, and I am
14 perfectly happy with any working gcc resulting from this.
15
16 This isn't only about control, this is also about trust:
17 I may control which settings to use for any pkg, but then I also have to
18 trust the decisions of the maintainers which choices they made for
19 individual pkgs (apart from overriding their settings, which somehow
20 questions the usage of portage IMO).
21
22 In fact, from my point of view, I am *allowed* to trust in this.
23
24 Stefan
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list