From: Michael Hennebry <hennebry@×××××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:54:13
1 On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
4 > > On Wednesday 23 August 2006 22:22, Michael Hennebry wrote:
5 > >>> Oh, and BTW, on gentoo your optimization choices for gcc are -O, -O2
6 > >>> or nothing, because all other -O options are replaced with -O2 by
7 > >>> toolchain.eclass.
8
9 Perhaps I misunderstood the preceeding.
10 I'd taken it to mean that recompiling any package with gentoo tools
11 would result in -Os being replaced by -O2 .
12
13 > >> Since the OP wanted -Os, the question remains:
14 > >> How, if at all, can he get -Os ?
15 > >
16 > > Assuming that the OP doesn't want a broken gcc he will probably be happy
17 > > with -Os for the packages that doesn't break with it... ;)
18
19 What would break with -Os that wouldn't break with -O2?
20 I was under the impression that both flags only allowed
21 changes that didn't affect the output.
22
23 > Being the OP in this case, I want to state that I didn't want "-Os for
24 > all pkgs". I just decided to set "-Os" inside my CFLAGS, and I am
25 > perfectly happy with any working gcc resulting from this.
26
27 A statement quoted above suggested to me that
28 you were unlikely to get -Os for anything.
29
30 > This isn't only about control, this is also about trust:
31 > I may control which settings to use for any pkg, but then I also have to
32 > trust the decisions of the maintainers which choices they made for
33 > individual pkgs (apart from overriding their settings, which somehow
34 > questions the usage of portage IMO).
35 >
36 > In fact, from my point of view, I am *allowed* to trust in this.
39 Mike hennebry@×××××××××××××××××.edu
40 "it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."
41 -- Daniel Jackson
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list