From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:00:09
1 Michael Hennebry wrote:
2
3 >>>>> Oh, and BTW, on gentoo your optimization choices for gcc are -O, -O2
4 >>>>> or nothing, because all other -O options are replaced with -O2 by
5 >>>>> toolchain.eclass.
6 >
7 > Perhaps I misunderstood the preceeding.
8 > I'd taken it to mean that recompiling any package with gentoo tools
9 > would result in -Os being replaced by -O2 .
10
11 AFAI understood the preceeding Richard wrote:
12
13 "on gentoo your optimization choices for gcc are ... "
14
15 I interpret this as:
16
17 emerge gcc with CFLAGS containing -Os
18 get gcc compiled with -O2
19
20 Not "any package", gcc (due to toolchain.eclass ...).
21
22 My way of seeing this, corrections welcome.
23
24 >> Being the OP in this case, I want to state that I didn't want "-Os for
25 >> all pkgs". I just decided to set "-Os" inside my CFLAGS, and I am
26 >> perfectly happy with any working gcc resulting from this.
27 >
28 > A statement quoted above suggested to me that
29 > you were unlikely to get -Os for anything.
30
31 Earlier in this thread I went -O3, then -O2, now -Os ...
32 As I stated several times, I learn.
33
34 Greets, Stefan.
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list