From: Urs Schuetz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and WindowMaker
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:49:46
1 xOn Sat, 07 Apr 2007, Brad Camroux wrote:
2
3 > Greetings,
4
5 > I've been trying to get WindowMaker working on my Gentoo box,
6 > so far without success. It's very difficult to find anything
7 > on Google et. al., too about getting things working. Today I
8 > managed to find the wmaker.inst program to install WindowMaker
9 > for the current user, but when I try to login and load
10 > WindowMaker, it just goes back to my kdm screen. I've been
11 > using Fluxbox in the meantime, and really don't want to just
12 > give up and go back to KDE. I want to use a nice, lightweight
13 > window manager.
14 > Does anyone have any ideas about configuring WindowMaker to
15 > work on Gentoo? I know lots of people have done it, but nobody
16 > seems to write a detailed account of how.
17
18 > Thanks,
19 >
20 > Brad
21
22 Brad
23
24 I just edited the .xinitrc file in my home directory, and use
25 xdm.
26
27 cat .xinitrc
28 #!/bin/bash
29 /usr/bin/xbindkeys &
30 #/usr/bin/xterm &
31 /usr/bin/wmaker
32
33 It seems that your wmaker is crashing when you start it (goes
34 back to the login screen).
35
36 Do you use wmaker from portage? There are two important patches
37 incuded which dont come with wmaker from the original source.
38
39 Urs
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list