From: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: digital camera - Longshot!
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:21:19
1 On Friday 20 June 2008 11:02:28 James wrote:
2 > Matthew R. Lee <gentoo <at> matthewlee.org> writes:
3 > > Dear All,
4 > > I've just taken delivery of a shiny new microscope with a digital imaging
5 > > system. Essentially a fancy usb webcam. As usual out of the box there is
6 > > no Linux support. The model is a Q Imaging Go-3. Their website doesn't
7 > > mention linux support except in the context of the firewire models.
8 >
9 > http://www.qimaging.com/products/cameras/documentation/
10 >
11 > Says:
12 > "The Go Series use superior CMOS sensors which take advantage of USB 2.0
13 > plug-n-play interfaces under Windows supported operating systems. The
14 > MicroPublisher cameras use CCD technology combined with the sustained data
15 > performance of FireWire to offer superior color imaging and performance for
16 > Windows, Mac and Linux based operating systems. Both the Go and
17 > MicroPublisher series cameras come with QCapture Suite and QCapture Pro
18 > software designed for high speed performance preview and capture functions.
19 > A Software Development Kit is available for easy interfacing with custom
20 > software. QImaging cameras are compatible with a large selection of life
21 > science and industrial software for microscope, machine vision and video
22 > streaming applications. "
25 > Oh by the way, in my previous post I mentioned "classes of usb
26 > drivers". Take a look here:
27 >
28 > http://www.usb.org/developers/defined_class
29 >
30 > A generic class driver under linux just might work for your device,
31 > since it is bascially a "web cam". Vendors most often try to get
32 > their products to use the generic class drivers, so they work
33 > out of the box with the various operating systems.
34 >
35 > Surely there is a way to make one of their microscopes work with linux?
38 > I'd be interested in this, if they do not cost too much.....
41 > James
42
43 Thanks for the info, I haven't got time to do anything about this until the
44 weekend. Hopefully it will just work. As for the cost, it is excessivly
45 spendy. The cost was around 2.3 million chilean pesos, that's about £2300 or
46 $4600 US. Yeah! seemed exhorbitant to me, but I'm not paying for it.
47 Saludos
48 Matt
51 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
52 Dr. Matthew R. Lee
53 Instituto Biologia Marina 'Jurgen Winter'
54 Universidad Austral de Chile
55 Campus Isla Teja
56 Valdivia
57