From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub and multiple distros on LVM [was duplicate gentoo system ...]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:04:36
1 On 2020-11-25, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:20:04 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> > "GRUB 2 can read files directly from LVM and RAID devices."
5 >>
6 >> That was certainly the behavior described [...]
7 >>
8 >> But that relys on the assumption that the distros all run compatible
9 >> versions of Grub2. What I was wondering was whether normal
10 >> chainloading would work (which wouldn't rely on that assumption).
11 >
12 > I would expect all versions of GRUB2 to use the same config syntax.
13 > Changing the syntax between versions could mean an update rendering the
14 > computer unbootable, which we would probably have heard about.
15
16 In some comments about the multiple-distro setups there were rather
17 vague references to occasional syntax problems between different
18 distro's versions of grub. I don't know if it was due a change that
19 was introduced upstream when grub was updated or some sort of RedHat
20 custom-feature-backporting-bastardization.
21
22 > I'm not sure chainloading would work as that requires a drive
23 > definition from which to load the boot sector.
24
25 I thought that's what LVM provided was a drive definition.
28 Grant