From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub and multiple distros on LVM [was duplicate gentoo system ...]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:54:18
1 On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:20:04 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > "GRUB 2 can read files directly from LVM and RAID devices."
4 >
5 > That was certainly the behavior described by the examples documented
6 > by people who were using grub to boot multiple partitions by having a
7 > master copy of grub with a menu that would then boot selected distros
8 > installed within LVM volumes by having each of the master menu entries
9 > load a new "distro" .cfg file from that LVM volume (each of the LVM
10 > volume's .cfg file was maintained by the distro package manager).
11 >
12 > But that relys on the assumption that the distros all run compatible
13 > versions of Grub2. What I was wondering was whether normal
14 > chainloading would work (which wouldn't rely on that assumption).
15
16 I would expect all versions of GRUB2 to use the same config syntax.
17 Changing the syntax between versions could mean an update rendering the
18 computer unbootable, which we would probably have heard about.
19
20 I'm not sure chainloading would work as that requires a drive definition
21 from which to load the boot sector.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System