From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:20:48
1 On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
7 >>>>>> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [12-04-08 18:40]:
8 >>
9 >> [snip]
10 >>
11 >>>>>> Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
12 >>>>>> Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>> Way to go: No reformatting and mkfs and all that things. Only kernel
15 >>>>>> reconfiguring / recompiling / rebooting and emerging some tools.
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> Possible?
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> As others had said, this is possible. I used this guide:
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/643
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> You need basically to enable the ext4-only features:
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index <partition>
26 >>>>
27 >>>> Um, why? Ext3 had extended attribute support, and ISTR the ext4 code
28 >>>> being able to handle ext3 filesystems.
29 >>>
30 >>> Didn't we already had this discussion? You can mount an ext3 partition
31 >>> as ext4, and it will be treated as ext4, but it will keep bein fully
32 >>> backwards compatible with ext3 (i.e., you can still mount it as ext3).
33 >>> This, however, negates the purpose of using ext4, as you are not using
34 >>> extents:
35 >>
36 >> Sure, ext4 is a better filesystem than ext3. I'm not disputing that.
37 >> I'm disputing that. I'm disputing two things:
38 >>
39 >> 1) That you need to convert a filesystem to ext4 in order to use
40 >> extended attributes.
41 >> 2) That you need to convert the filesystem at all; Meino's 'status
42 >> quo' filesystem is already ext4, per the portion of his email I
43 >> quoted.
44 >
45 > From Mick's mail:
46 >
47 >> Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
48 >> Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
49 >
50 > I assume with that he meant the "extents" option. Therefore, all the
51 > things I already said.
52
53 Ah. 'extents' and 'extended attributes' are completely different
54 things. I did a bit of googling to confirm my recollection.
55
56 FWIW, I came across this very excellent page in discussion of Ext4
57 compared to other and previous filesystems:
58 http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4
61 :wq