From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:07:52
1 On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
6 >>>>> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [12-04-08 18:40]:
7 >
8 > [snip]
9 >
10 >>>>> Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
11 >>>>> Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> Way to go: No reformatting and mkfs and all that things. Only kernel
14 >>>>> reconfiguring / recompiling / rebooting and emerging some tools.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> Possible?
17 >>>>
18 >>>> As others had said, this is possible. I used this guide:
19 >>>>
20 >>>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/643
21 >>>>
22 >>>> You need basically to enable the ext4-only features:
23 >>>>
24 >>>> tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index <partition>
25 >>>
26 >>> Um, why? Ext3 had extended attribute support, and ISTR the ext4 code
27 >>> being able to handle ext3 filesystems.
28 >>
29 >> Didn't we already had this discussion? You can mount an ext3 partition
30 >> as ext4, and it will be treated as ext4, but it will keep bein fully
31 >> backwards compatible with ext3 (i.e., you can still mount it as ext3).
32 >> This, however, negates the purpose of using ext4, as you are not using
33 >> extents:
34 >
35 > Sure, ext4 is a better filesystem than ext3. I'm not disputing that.
36 > I'm disputing that. I'm disputing two things:
37 >
38 > 1) That you need to convert a filesystem to ext4 in order to use
39 > extended attributes.
40 > 2) That you need to convert the filesystem at all; Meino's 'status
41 > quo' filesystem is already ext4, per the portion of his email I
42 > quoted.
43
44 From Mick's mail:
45
46 > Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
47 > Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
48
49 I assume with that he meant the "extents" option. Therefore, all the
50 things I already said.
51
52 Regards.
53 --