From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:01:28
1 On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 >>>> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [12-04-08 18:40]:
6
7 [snip]
8
9 >>>> Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
10 >>>> Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Way to go: No reformatting and mkfs and all that things. Only kernel
13 >>>> reconfiguring / recompiling / rebooting and emerging some tools.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Possible?
16 >>>
17 >>> As others had said, this is possible. I used this guide:
18 >>>
19 >>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/643
20 >>>
21 >>> You need basically to enable the ext4-only features:
22 >>>
23 >>> tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index <partition>
24 >>
25 >> Um, why? Ext3 had extended attribute support, and ISTR the ext4 code
26 >> being able to handle ext3 filesystems.
27 >
28 > Didn't we already had this discussion? You can mount an ext3 partition
29 > as ext4, and it will be treated as ext4, but it will keep bein fully
30 > backwards compatible with ext3 (i.e., you can still mount it as ext3).
31 > This, however, negates the purpose of using ext4, as you are not using
32 > extents:
33
34 Sure, ext4 is a better filesystem than ext3. I'm not disputing that.
35 I'm disputing that. I'm disputing two things:
36
37 1) That you need to convert a filesystem to ext4 in order to use
38 extended attributes.
39 2) That you need to convert the filesystem at all; Meino's 'status
40 quo' filesystem is already ext4, per the portion of his email I
41 quoted.
44 :wq