From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PosgreSQL - pg_hba.conf localhost access only
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:35:13
1 On 04/25/13 09:10, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 >On Thu, April 25, 2013 07:48, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 ><SNIP>
5 >
6 >> I just tried as you suggested, the only active line in: pg_hba.conf
7 >> local all all trust
8 >>
9 >> anything else is commented out. I restarted the server but I still can
10 >> connect to postgresql from another computer via Firefox.
11 >
12 >Joseph,
13 >
14 >Let me put it in really simple terms:
15 >1) Firefox is NOT a database client, it can NOT connect to a database
16 >2) Firefox IS a webbrowser, it ONLY connects to a webserver
17 >
18 >This means, Postgresql will NOT see ANY connection made by Firefox.
19 >
20 >The website you have running ON TOP OFF apache makes the connection to
21 >Postgresql.
22 >
23 >Eg. it goes like the following:
24 >
25 >User <-> Firefox <-> Apache/website <-> Postgresql
26 >
27 >Any of the above can ONLY see their immediate neighbour.
28 >
29 >--
30 >Joost
31
32 So pg_hba.conf only controls direct connections to postgreSQL.
33 Since "apache" group is in postgres user; apache was given permission to access the database in this case py-passing the setting in pg_hba.conf
34 Is there a way to force sequence:
35 Apache/website <-> pg_hba.conf <-> Postgresql
38 Joseph