From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PosgreSQL - pg_hba.conf localhost access only
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:57:46
1 On Thu, April 25, 2013 14:35, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 04/25/13 09:10, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >>On Thu, April 25, 2013 07:48, Joseph wrote:
4 >>
5 >><SNIP>
6 >>
7 >>> I just tried as you suggested, the only active line in: pg_hba.conf
8 >>> local all all trust
9 >>>
10 >>> anything else is commented out. I restarted the server but I still can
11 >>> connect to postgresql from another computer via Firefox.
12 >>
13 >>Joseph,
14 >>
15 >>Let me put it in really simple terms:
16 >>1) Firefox is NOT a database client, it can NOT connect to a database
17 >>2) Firefox IS a webbrowser, it ONLY connects to a webserver
18 >>
19 >>This means, Postgresql will NOT see ANY connection made by Firefox.
20 >>
21 >>The website you have running ON TOP OFF apache makes the connection to
22 >>Postgresql.
23 >>
24 >>Eg. it goes like the following:
25 >>
26 >>User <-> Firefox <-> Apache/website <-> Postgresql
27 >>
28 >>Any of the above can ONLY see their immediate neighbour.
29 >>
30 >>--
31 >>Joost
32 >
33 > So pg_hba.conf only controls direct connections to postgreSQL.
34
35 Correct.
36
37 > Since "apache" group is in postgres user; apache was given permission to
38 > access the database in this case py-passing the setting in pg_hba.conf
39
40 Wrong, Postgresql does not check group-ownership. Your pg_hba.conf file
41 will have a setting that allows Apache to connect.
42
43 > Is there a way to force sequence:
44 > Apache/website <-> pg_hba.conf <-> Postgresql
45
46 Postgresql will always read the pg_hba.conf file and use that to determine
47 who can and can not connect directly to Postgresql.
50 Joost