From: Alexander Schwarz <Alexander-Schwarz@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:43:29
1 Am 12.03.2013 11:01, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:
2 > On 12.03.2013 12:46, Alexander Schwarz wrote:
3 >> Am 12.03.2013 08:33, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:
4 >>>
5 >>> Again, following your logic, why not just let the user himself
6 >>> ./configure && make && make install as in old days? What is portage
7 >>> for?
8 >>
9 >> Following your logic, if there's even one tool to make life easier
10 >> everything has to be absolutely easy. So we should now utilize fancy
11 >> wizards? Once again, that's following your logic.
12 >
13 > not "has to be easy", but definitely, with such purpose.
14 > Do you disagree? Perhaps you reckon that the whole purpose of computing
15 > is to make life harder? :)
18 Ok, I know that comparisons are sometimes silly and known to not work at
19 times, but here is what I think is currently happening:
20 There's a long street with various bars. One of them is named "Ubuntu",
21 another is called "Fedora" and there's a much smaller bar called "Gentoo".
22 Every bar has a sign in front, telling everyone what to expect. The sign
23 in front of the bar "Ubuntu" states: "free drinks, served by people,
24 brought to you. On the other hand we only serve 3 different drinks".
25 The sign before the bar "Gentoo" states: "please mix your drinks as you
26 like, we're not going to serve them to you, we only provide the
27 ingredients for free".
28
29 Now, most people gather in the bar "Ubuntu" because it does exactly what
30 they want: free drinks, nicely served, no worries. But there's also a
31 smaller group that prefers exotic drinks, they want to mix freely. So
32 they visit "Gentoo" for years.
33
34 One day somebody walks in: "oh, uhm, nice bar but why do I have to mix
35 drinks myself"? The people in that bar (Gentoo) reply kindly: "well, we
36 like it that way, because we want to make sure that those drinks only
37 contain what we want in them. "
38 The stranger replies: "Well, here are just few people, you shouldn't mix
39 your own drinks. I think it should be much easier than that."
40 The guests kindly reply: "Yeah, we totally understand that, but why
41 don't you just go to that other bar, called "Ubuntu"? It does EXACTLY
42 what you want, no worries."
43 The stranger replies: "No, you must change, because you need more guests."
44 The guests reply again: "Yes, but this bar was exactly made this way as
45 we like it. It's our place where we are happy. If you turned it into a
46 second Ubuntu then we would have no home anymore."
47
48 To put it blunt and simple: you're asking a distribution to change
49 because you don't like it. Your point is that things don't have to stay
50 like they are forever. That is probably a very good point but it rises
51 the question: if every single distribution is "easy mode", what's left
52 for all the people who're more into doing stuff the hard way?
53 If Gentoo was the only distribution you would have a really really good
54 point and I would jump on your side in a second, as I'm a fan of "make
55 it easy for the average user", too. But there's so much choice out there
56 that doesn't cost you a penny. So there's simply no need for Gentoo to
57 become easy mode, because there are other distributions filling that
58 spot quite easily.
61 > Sorry I didn't get what you meant by *this*. All I'm trying to say is
62 > that every software is for the user, and blaming user for software
63 > deficiencies is unfair. I regard the case in question as a deficiency.
64 > Would you disagree? I can't find a basis to think the opposite, but if
65 > you can, I'd be interested. :)
66
67 I stated it above: Gentoo is filling a niche. It's exactly aimed towards
68 people who like to tinker, figure stuff out and tailor a system to their
69 likings. Every decision you take away from the user makes it easier for
70 the user but in turn limits your capabilities to change a system to your
71 likings. So, there's quite a logical reason if you stop seeing Gentoo as
72 the distribution of choice for the average user.
76 > I'm mixing up as long as both linux and gentoo and other software are
77 > software which all serve one purpose: to solve user's tasks. And as
78 > for me, all principles are the consequences of this, and not the
79 > opposite.
80 > I don't like the way of personification you resort to (including your
81 > opinion of what I do or want which can not be correct), but
82 > personally, even not being a beginner, I do not expect things to break
83 > every now and then. Probably that's why I'm using Gentoo: because the
84 > breakage probability in it (if used properly) is less than in some
85 > other distro which is not under one's control.
86 > I suppose, most users don't care what for Gentoo was meant, why it
87 > fares the way it fares: users care for the way it suits their needs.
88 > As for me, saying "if this or that don't work, you guys must know that
89 > this distro wasn't meant for working right..." is like "you are too
90 > stupid to use it" or even more humiliating.
93 Most users don't even care for Gentoo because the installation process
94 is complicated (the documentation is great, however). See Gentoo as a
95 distribution for mechanics, while Ubuntu is a car that works for everyone.
96 Once again: you want to turn Gentoo into something it is not. All the
97 time you've complained here you could've just used a distribution that
98 does exactly what you want. That is highly illogical.
102 > I'm sorry for having you see things I didn't mean, and also sorry for
103 > starting this "personalities exchange" since I don't think that
104 > mailing lists are a good place for personal opinions.
105
106 This I do agree and I will not post further on this matter. If you want
107 you can send me an email and we can continue that discussion but I guess
108 we shouldn't further annoy our fellow mailing list friends.