From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:01:39
1 On 12.03.2013 12:46, Alexander Schwarz wrote:
2 > Am 12.03.2013 08:33, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:
3 >>
4 >> Again, following your logic, why not just let the user himself
5 >> ./configure && make && make install as in old days? What is portage
6 >> for?
7 >
8 > Following your logic, if there's even one tool to make life easier
9 > everything has to be absolutely easy. So we should now utilize fancy
10 > wizards? Once again, that's following your logic.
11
12 not "has to be easy", but definitely, with such purpose.
13 Do you disagree? Perhaps you reckon that the whole purpose of computing
14 is to make life harder? :)
17 >> That is a testing issue. Of course, one can never know what will
18 >> change, or whether the code contains a bug (before one is
19 >> detected), but when someone *does* stumble upon such issues, it is
20 >> up to maintainers to update portage to prevent the issue... that's
21 >> what portage is for, isn't it? That said, the topic starter has run
22 >> across an issue and I assume the action to be taken by the package
23 >> maintainer is to add a test against kernel compatibility and
24 >> eligibility of the native driver, so that in the future the issue
25 >> not rise again. Am I right? Or do I completely misunderstand the
26 >> purpose of portage, and everything?
27 >
28 > First of all: Gentoo relies on volunteers to do work as testing. If
29 > something fails they CAN report it (like he did via this userlist).
30 > You're requesting enterprise features (everything tested to a great
31 > extent for every piece of hardware)? That's cool, because you can
32 > help. Just invest some time and help testing, everyone would be
33 > grateful. Without those reports portage can't know. It's a tool and
34 > not a thinking human being, as such it's limited in many ways. How
35 > should it know that something will break other things if nobody tells
36 > it?
37
38 The case in question is exactly that: the user (Daniel Wagener)
39 experienced an issue and reported it. He was *the* tester. He
40 encountered a problem. He helped. He wrote *the* report. I believe he is
41 to be thanked, rather than to blame. Maybe he expressed his feelings too
42 harshly, but it's comprehensible to an extent.
43
44 >>>> 4. How and why would you expect to force all users to grep thru
45 >>>> kernel src in search for a driver they might need, especially
46 >>>> when the portage explicitly lists this driver? Also sometimes
47 >>>> kernel drivers' description is not quite consistent and it is
48 >>>> not easy to figure out whether it supports exactly yours
49 >>>> card/chip/device, or moreover find it by grep.
50 >>>
51 >>> All kernel source? grep? Nope. Just reading a bit of help text.
52 >>> Maybe using google. Doing it once.
53 >>
54 >> As I said, there is not always good help text for kernel options.
57 > I tend to agree but then again: why even bother compiling the Linux
58 > kernel if it's too tedious?
59
60 Not quite. The big deal is not compiling the kernel itself, but finding
61 out options which are applicable or conversely useless for one. And
62 don't say that's an easy task even for those who are familiar.
63 I personally am not always in mood to tinker with those new
64 CONFIG_SOMETHING_WHICH_NOBODY_YET_UNDERSTANDS_WHAT_IT_S_FOR_AND_IS_GONNA_BE_RENAMED_AFTER_TWENTY_EIGHT_VERSIONS
65 which neither kernel.org nor google can clearly explain. But then it
66 turns out that you need that (or need that removed) for another thingy
67 to work.
68 Probably the task of "just compiling the kernel" appears to user much
69 more horrible than it really is. Not counting the options...
70
71 >>> Then you have a working setup you can use for the rest of
72 >>> eternity (or the next couple of years...)
73 >>
74 >> Okay, and when someone like the topic starter *did* have a working
75 >> setup with the "superfluous" driver from portage, ... do you feel
76 >> the logic? :) When should one realize that this setup is no more
77 >> working? I guess, just after it stopped working, right? :) Of
78 >> course, again, if one is really concerned he will check each kernel
79 >> release or whatever for the new stuff he's concerned about, but
80 >> when all *worked*, why should he?
81 > There are distributions out there who take care of *this*. Instead
82 > of utilizing them you're trying to redefine Gentoo in a manner that
83 > more suits you. This is highly illogical, as alternatives are out
84 > there with the exact same thing you'd like to see.
85
86 Sorry I didn't get what you meant by *this*. All I'm trying to say is
87 that every software is for the user, and blaming user for software
88 deficiencies is unfair. I regard the case in question as a deficiency.
89 Would you disagree? I can't find a basis to think the opposite, but if
90 you can, I'd be interested. :)
91
92 >> so, according to that, everyone who's striving to get
93 >> linux/gentoo/whtever more user-friendly (including portage's key
94 >> features) is an ubuntoid? You know, I came from FreeBSD where
95 >> you're supposed to do much more work by hand, and after a dozen
96 >> years I'm a little bit tired of that. I *can* do without things
97 >> like portage's colorful output, for example (although it's helpful
98 >> most of the time). But I really dislike things broken e.g. on
99 >> `portupgrade -aR` and the sort and I can *not* call a system which
100 >> allows that a quality system. That sort of user-friendliness has
101 >> nothing to do with ubuntism ("we know better what you want") and
102 >> visual beauty: that's about quality. (I know that there's no
103 >> absolute quality, but when a system tends to fail, and justifies
104 >> that with "user not having googled or having taken a way we, devs,
105 >> didn't ever think to go" -- it's at least incorrect if not
106 >> arrogant.)
107 >
108 > You're mixing up Linux and distributions. Linux is a kernel, not
109 > more, not less. If the distribution is user friendly or not is
110 > defined for every single distribution. The problem I see here: you
111 > want Gentoo to do certain things for you which is in direct conflict
112 > to Gentoo's principles. Gentoo really was never meant for the
113 > beginner, nor was it meant for the expert who just wants to USE
114 > things and SOMETIMES change crucial parts of the system.
115
116 I'm mixing up as long as both linux and gentoo and other software are
117 software which all serve one purpose: to solve user's tasks. And as for
118 me, all principles are the consequences of this, and not the opposite.
119 I don't like the way of personification you resort to (including your
120 opinion of what I do or want which can not be correct), but personally,
121 even not being a beginner, I do not expect things to break every now and
122 then. Probably that's why I'm using Gentoo: because the breakage
123 probability in it (if used properly) is less than in some other distro
124 which is not under one's control.
125 I suppose, most users don't care what for Gentoo was meant, why it fares
126 the way it fares: users care for the way it suits their needs. As for
127 me, saying "if this or that don't work, you guys must know that this
128 distro wasn't meant for working right..." is like "you are too stupid to
129 use it" or even more humiliating.
130
131 > In my personal opinion it's highly arrogant to download a
132 > distribution, seeing that you obviously don't like it (which is
133 > absolutely fine) and then jump on the mailing list. Patronizing
134 > everyone and telling them how that system should exactly change that
135 > it's acceptable in your eyes.
136
137 > But, that's the whole beauty of open source: you can do things
138 > exactly your way by forking, helping as a dev/tester, developing your
139 > own things if you hate them, etc... And before you tell me: "you want
140 > to troll me". Nope, I'm dead serious. Open source is all about
141 > getting involved if you want to change things. Other certain
142 > operating systems don't even give you that choice and are more like:
143 > like it or leave it.
144
145 I'm also involved. Even participating on the list and expressing my
146 opinion does it.
147 Though in this very case, I just said (and it was really *all* I wanted
148 to say), don't blame the guy for the fact which is clearly (to me) an
149 issue of the package. Did I say that since there's such an issue then
150 the whole gentoo is bad? :) Or that smth else is bad? No. If you still
151 maintain that it was not an issue but "the way it's meant to be", it's
152 your option, and I have exhausted my arguments. :)
153
154 I'm sorry for having you see things I didn't mean, and also sorry for
155 starting this "personalities exchange" since I don't think that mailing
156 lists are a good place for personal opinions.
159 Best wishes,
160 Yuri K. Shatroff