From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 10:33:14
1 On 12/03/2013 12:01, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 >> Following your logic, if there's even one tool to make life easier
3 >> everything has to be absolutely easy. So we should now utilize fancy
4 >> wizards? Once again, that's following your logic.
5 >
6 > not "has to be easy", but definitely, with such purpose.
7 > Do you disagree? Perhaps you reckon that the whole purpose of computing
8 > is to make life harder? :)
11 You know, this general topic rears it's head about every six months. The
12 answer never changes:
13
14 Gentoo is what it is, it works a certain way for a reason. Maybe you
15 like it, maybe you don't. Either way that is not going to change anytime
16 soon. What you could do is pitch in and do all the same heavy lifting
17 that our long-term devs have done, and be the change you want to see in
18 the world.
19
20 That might involve dealing with the protestations of the existing devs
21 though and they will likely quote the "Gentoo is what it is" line.
22
23 I think you just don't understand the group and technical dynamics that
24 are at work here. Gentoo is not a product, it's a tool kit. Nobody ever
25 claimed that drivers moving in and out of 3rd party vendor space to and
26 from mainline would be tracked and dealt with and documented. It is up
27 to the user to track that and decide what they want to use. It is the
28 user that must be aware of possible incompatibilities between his chosen
29 packages and deal with the results. A Gentoo system cannot possibly work
30 any other way - you built the thing using provided tools, deal with th
31 result of your creation.
32
33 I don't see why you are getting so upset. The OP asked a question, he
34 got an answer. He seems OK with it, so why are you getting offended on
35 his behalf?
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com