From: Net Warrior <netwarrior863@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: net-setup package
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:42:35
1 Yes, I did it manually as stated in the handbook, I'll take a look if I can
2 copy net-setup from the install CD.
3
4 Thank you very much.
7 2008/4/23, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com>:
8 >
9 > "Net Warrior" <netwarrior863@×××××.com> writes:
10 >
11 > > HI there guys.
12 > > I've already installed gentoo, and wanting to setup the ethernet ,
13 > trying to
14 > > use net-setup seems not to be installed, which package do I nneed to
15 > install
16 > > in order to have this util?
17 > > It seems I missed something.
18 > >
19 > > Thanks for your time and support.
20 > > Greets,
23 > The net-setup tool is on the install cd. Not sure if its a separate
24 > installable utility in portage.. but an `eix' search of the portage
25 > database comes up empty.
26 >
27 > The way I do is establish a network running the install image cd or
28 > iso then transfer those settings to the actual install.
29 >
30 > But if you've already moved to the fresh install you should be able to
31 > setup the ethernet by hand with `ifconfig' and `route'.
32 >
33 > Then put those setting into /etc/conf.d/net
34 > /etc/conf.d/domainname
35 > /etc/resolv.conf
36 >
37 > For manual setup:
38 > (assuming eth0 is the device you are going to use)
39 >
40 > ifconfig eth0 my.ip.address (in numeric notation like 192.168.0.2) up
41 > route add default gw my.gateway.addr (in numeric notation)
42 >
43 > (if /etc/resolv.conf does not already contain a nameserver to use)
44 >
45 > echo "nameserver my.nameserver.address" > /etc/resolv.conf
46 >
47 > And finally, if all goes well.. complete the setup so that it starts
48 > on bootup with rc-update
49 >
50 > rc-update add net.eth0 default (to add it to the default run level)
51 >
52 > See if that gets you going...
55 > --
56 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list