From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Best video player
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:30:48
1 On Wednesday 16 November 2005 00:02, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > I am not sure that you are at all correct. With mplayer I can resize a
4 > window with my mouse and the aspect is retained (ie i drag the window
5 > wider and it also gets taller). There are certainly no restrictions like
6 > 100/200% - any size seems to work.
7 >
8 > And aspect seems to work well when resizing to fullscreen too. If it is
9 > in some form of letterbox (eg 16:9) you get black lines above and below,
10 > just as expected.
11 >
12 > Some media formats (avi?) have a place in the header to specify aspect
13 > ratio, whereas others seem to leave it to the player to guess from the
14 > frame size. If the header doesn't specifiy then the player can get
15 > confused, but mplayer has the -aspect switch which seems to fix this on
16 > the rare occasion that it is an issue. And it is not well hidden,
17 > searching the man page for "aspect" turns it up.
18 >
19 > I see that there is also a switch called "-nokeepaspect":
20 >
21 > -nokeepaspect
22 > Do not keep window aspect ratio when resizing windows. Only works with
23 > the x11, xv, xmga, xvidix, directx video output drivers. Furthermore under
24 > X11 your window manager has to honor window aspect hints.
25 >
26 > Maybe this is turned on in your machine?
27 >
28 > Check /etc/mplayer.conf (system wide) and ~/.mplayer/*
31 I do not have this options in any config, which are both the defaults one, but
32 when I resize the (g)mplayer window with the mouse, the aspect ratio is
33 totally ignored. Which is pretty annoying.
34
35 Xine, on the other hand, does honor the aspect ratio. When the window is to
36 tall or wide, black lines are added until the aspect is correct.
37
38 Glück Auf
39 Volker
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list