From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:49:27
1 On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:26:38 +0200
2 Francesco Talamona wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 18 July 2005 19:07, John J. Foster wrote:
5 > > Good afternoon all,
6 > >
7 > > A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly
8 > > decrease compilation times. The author noted that this was
9 > > particularly noticable when working with something like OO. The
10 > > general jist of it was to create temporary file system in memory and
11 > > mount your portage tmpdir there. For the life of me, I can't find
12 > > that thread anymore. Does anyone do something similar to this? Are
13 > > there noticable gains to be had. I have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB
14 > > ram.
15 >
16 > IIRC OO takes more than 3GB of space to compile. Gcc itself is quite RAM
17 > demanding...
18 >
19 > I tkink it is feasible for smaller programs.
20
21 yeah and smaller programs take a negligible time in most cases.
22
23 anyone who has tested this, did you have ccache turned off? if it is on
24 it will skew results to hell, as a lot of the object files will be
25 cached.
29 > Ciao
30 > Francesco
31 > --
32 > Linux Version 2.6.11-gentoo-r11, Compiled #1 Thu Jun 23 05:26:18
33 > One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4308.99 Bogomips Total
34 > aemaeth
35 > --
36 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39 Nick Rout