From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:07:01
1 On 23 February 2010 02:06, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> well, cfg-update keeps a backup. It detects manual edits and try to
5 >> resolve conflicts resulting from that automatically. Which works
6 >> surprisingly well. If
7 >
8 > Volker gave me that same advice long ago, I've used cfg-update ever
9 > since.
10 >
11 > Its capable of dispatching meaningless file updates in the blink of an
12 > eye, and offers several well known methods for resolving those that
13 > need it.
14 >
15 > I personally use vimdiff with it, but there are several other options.
16 > Its just a good solid tool.
19 Better than my first days of gentoo when I just either manually
20 deleted the files or copied them to the new ones as portage
21 complained. I'd just search for ._ files in /etc.
22
23 Yeah, that sucked Then I was like "oh, etc-update, this is great."
24 Then I was like "dispatch-conf, thats greater!" So now that I've got
25 a lot of crap to clean out again...I emerged both of these guys. I'll
26 probably add some extra superlatives.
27
28 Hah!
29
30 ~daid