From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:02:29
1 It mainly depends on your own feelings. I think that a debian stable
2 is a very good choice for a prod' server, but I really dislike the way
3 Debian manages daemon and prefer the Gentoo approach. Updates are not
4 painless...for sure, but you have to consider your needs first (what
5 tools do you need ? typical web services ? extra lib from different
6 languages ? any time reserved for maintenance or the server cannot be
7 off ?). Then, updating is not a must. Believe me, an up-to-date
8 machine is nice .... when you want brand new lib/features/softwares.
9 Do your server need to be so.. up-to-date ?
10
11 Finally, if you take time to estimate what should be updated prior to
12 emerge the whole world, you can plan your updates and organize the way
13 to go back if required.... and updates are not nightmares. (But have a
14 look at the handbook:
15 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2). You
16 also need tools like dispatch-conf to undo easily your conf files
17 changes.
18
19 Gal'