From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with X fonts when restarting from hibernate-to-disk
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:47:04
1 On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  I'm not sure where to look.  I've recently started having font
3 > problems when restarting my PC from hibernate-to-disk.  Here are the
4 > symptoms...
5 > * I hibernate my home desktop machine when not using it
6 > * when I restart from hibernate, the following problems *SOMETIMES* occur
7 > * existing GUI windows are OK
8 > * launching new programs or dialogues (YES/NO, Apply/Cancel, etc) seems
9 >  to have zero-size fonts
10 > * shutting down X and restarting it solves the problem, but if I have to
11 >  go through that, it's almost as cumbersome as "sudo /usr/sbin/poff"
12 >  and booting fresh
13 >
14 >  I'm attaching a partial screen-capture of an existing gnumeric
15 > spreadsheet and a new one launched after waking up from hibernation.
16 > The tracker.gnumeric spreadsheet that was opened before hibernation is
17 > OK.  The Book1.gnumeric spreadsheet was opened after waking up from
18 > hibernate.  Note the missing "File Edit View etc" text menus.  The
19 > location and formula areas are very thin, compared to the same areas in
20 > tracker.gnumeric.  This happens to Opera, AbiWord, etc.  I did this
21 > partial screencapture with Gimp.  I left it open before hibernating.
22 > The radiobuttons and icons were OK in the screencapture dialogue, but
23 > the fonts were screwed up on the dialogue.  I managed to do the
24 > screencapture from memory of which button was which.
25 >
26 > --
27 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 In addition to YoYo's comments it may also be graphics driver problem.
31 There were some comments on the Intel Gfx list this morning about
32 certain chips losing bit settings in hibernation. Possibly it's
33 something like that.
34
35 I don't know what hardware you're using but if the problem occurs
36 across lots of different app types, and because you used the words
37 'have started having font problems' implying maybe you didn't earlier,
38 then look into newer/older drivers to bisect the problem.
39
40 - Mark