From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacements for ivman
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:06:57
1 On Saturday 11 October 2008 15:18:24 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 11. Oktober 2008 13:24:03 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 > > Is there a replacement for ivman?
4 >
5 > What exactly do you do with it, which filesystems do you mount with it?
6
7 At the moment mostly just hot-plug stuff on USB with your standard
8 fat/ext2,3/reiser/nfts file systems, plus optical media. I also have an
9 sd/mmc reader and firewire on this notebook, neither of which I've never used
10 but probably should.
11
12 HAL and the various things one could do with it's events is something I've
13 stayed away from studying. Maybe early versions were confusingly
14 documented... and all those xml files... I was reading a wiki page on my
15 make/model notebook to see if I could improve on how I was using the
16 hardware, this came up and looked useful. Automounting is the most obvious
17 case, especially as e17 doesn't do it well - I get an ugly icon on the
18 desktop and a long description string that is truncated at about 10
19 characters, so the system is worse than useless. I resort to using konqueror
20 with it's media:/ kio-slave instead, which feels clunky and more of a
21 work-around than a proper desktop configuration.
22
23 If there's something better than ivman, or if I really should be configuration
24 HAL directly, then I'm all ears, but I do get the impression that one really
25 should be working with HAL via a front-end for true ease of use
26 --
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com