From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wpa_supplicant troubles with newly installed gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 21:38:42
1 On Monday 30 May 2016 14:09:27 Jackson Darule wrote:
2 > Hello. I’ve newly installed gentoo, and my wireless hasn’t been working.
3 > I’ve tried to google and use the wiki to find the answer, but was unable
4 > to. If people require more information from my system, feel free to ask.
5 > I’ve been trying to manually configure the file for it to work. I’m using
6 > WPA2 personal security on my wifi. -------
7 > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
8 >
9 > update_config=1
10 > ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
11 >
12 > network={
13 > ssid=“myssid”
14 > #psk=“mypsk”
15 > psk=(the longer form of the psk generated by the terminal command to find
16 > this) proto=WPA
17
18 Change this to:
19
20 proto=RSN
21
22 > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
23 > group=CCMP TKIP
24 > pairwise=CCMP TKIP
25
26 You probably do not need TKIP
27
28 > }
29 > --------
30 > running the command “wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlp3s0
31 > -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" gives the output
32 >
33 > Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
34 > ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
35 > Delete ‘/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0’ manually if it is not used anymore
36 > Failed to initialize control interface ‘DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
37 > GROUP=wheel’. You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running
38 > or the file was left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which
39 > case you will need to manually remove this file before starting
40 > wpa_supplicant again.
41 >
42 > nl80211: deinst ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
45 > I wanted to ask before manually deleting /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0 in
46 > case this could do anything to damage my new system. Is the next step to
47 > delete /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0, or is there another step which I
48 > should take in order to connect with my wifi.
49 >
50 > Thanks.
51
52 Do you have a /etc/init.d/net.wlp3s0 symlink to /etc/init.d/net and have you
53 configured /etc/conf.d/net to include the necessary for your wireless
54 interface?
55
56 What do you get when you run '/etc/init.d/net.wlp3s0 start'?
59 Regards,
60 Mick