From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:28:43
1 090518 bn wrote:
2 > Philip Webb ha scritto:
3 >> Hopefully, the OP has got some useful hints out of all this ...
4 > Yes. I'm kinda considering switching to Ubuntu.
5 > I love Gentoo, it's almost 4 years I'm using it, but I need this laptop
6 > to *work*, and I cannot afford to be consistently bitten by such unknowns.
7 > My only concern is that Ubuntu won't be better in the long end
8 > (even if I used it at work for years and I always felt comfortable with it),
9 > because of the upgrade/reinstall cycles.
10
11 Well, you can get bitten by such things with any distro
12 -- perhaps Slackware has the best reputation for utter reliability -- ,
13 but with Gentoo you do have the ability to fix anything yourself,
14 even if it does need a bit of time to get advice & act on it;
15 you can also make notes to ensure you don't get bitten a 2nd time.
16 With binary distros, you are stuck with whatever their makers give you.
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca