From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:02:38
1 Philip Webb ha scritto:
2 > 090518 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 18 May 2009 07:29:00 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> The blurb tells me nothing, but if I follow its advice, I do get :
5 >> I said there was help, I didn't claim it was helpful :)
6 >> I got bitten by this one a while ago on a box using a mixture
7 >> of SATA and PATA disks, the PATA disk disappeared after an upgrade
8 >> because I took the help to indicate I didn't need it.
9 >> I should have followed the "If unsure..." advice.
10 >
11 > Yes, had I realised there was help available via '?',
12 > I would have seen that line & would have taken the advice,
13 > when I would also have seen the JMicron line marked 'y'.
14 >
15 > I have updated the file which contains my kernel notes (wry smile).
16 >
17 > Hopefully, the OP has got some useful hints out of all this ...
18
19 Yes. I'm kinda considering switching to Ubuntu.
20
21 I love Gentoo, it's almost 4 years I'm using it, but I need this laptop
22 to *work*, and I cannot afford to be consistently bitten by such unknowns.
23
24 My only concern is that Ubuntu won't be better in the long end (even if
25 I used it at work for years and I always felt comfortable with it),
26 because of the upgrade/reinstall cycles.
29 m.