From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:18:48
1 On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:23:30 +0000, Fernando Meira wrote:
2
3 > > You don't need to add partitions, because portage isn't hard coded to
4 > > use any particular partitions. If you run out of space during
5 > > emerges, you only have to change $PORTAGE_TMPDIR to somewhere with
6 > > more space than /var. Equally, you can change $DISTDIR to reduce the
7 > > amount of space used in /usr/portage, you could even change it to a
8 > > FAT32 partition of your Windows installation has more free space than
9 > > Gentoo.
10
11 > So I can point them both to the FAT32 partition and get 1Gb back (when
12 > not emerging) to gentoo's system.. that's interesting! That could help
13 > me until I find a real solution to the mess on my pc... :)
14
15 I'm not sure whether $PORTAGE_TMPDIR would work on a FAT32 partition,
16 because of the lack of permissions.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 -Come, come, why they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-