From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:35:56
1 Hi Neil,
2
3 On 8/8/05, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:00:49 +0100, Michael Kintzios wrote:
6 >
7 > > Well, it has been practical enough for *my* needs. For a while I was
8 > > running Gentoo on a small partition and having run aground on a couple
9 > > of cases with a seized system during some mammoth emerge, I decided to
10 > > set up a separate /usr partition.
11 >
12 > You don't need to add partitions, because portage isn't hard coded to use
13 > any particular partitions. If you run out of space during emerges, you
14 > only have to change $PORTAGE_TMPDIR to somewhere with more space
15 > than /var. Equally, you can change $DISTDIR to reduce the amount of space
16 > used in /usr/portage, you could even change it to a FAT32 partition of
17 > your Windows installation has more free space than Gentoo.
20 So I can point them both to the FAT32 partition and get 1Gb back (when not
21 emerging) to gentoo's system.. that's interesting! That could help me until
22 I find a real solution to the mess on my pc... :)